Errata and Changes for Math in Society
Errors in Edition 2.5
- Solution to Try it Now 3 is incorrect: P(at least one is white) = 1 - P(neither is white) = 1 - P(not white socks AND not white tee) = `1 - 4/10*4/7 = 1 - 16/70 = 54/70 = 27/35 ~~ 77.1%`
- Solution to Try it Now 9 is incorrect: the numerator should be 10*4=40
Changes Made Edition 2.4 -> 2.5
Added Logic chapter
Corrected these typos/errors:
- Try it Now 2: The answer for the quota of 16 is wrong. The answer is correct for a quota of 15. For a quota of 16, all three players have veto power.
- Try it Now 4: Between the list of coalitions and the table, the sentence should read: P1 is pivotal 3 times, P2 is pivotal 3 time, and P3 is pivotal 0 times.
- Example 14: The remaining balance after 5 years should be $162,758, resulting in $34,292.80 to interest.
- Exercise 15: The answer for part a should be $320,243.29.
- Example 17, the final calculation should be `1/102 + 1/102 = 2/102 = 1/51`
- Exercise 12 should be `C subset U` , not `C subset D`
- Exercise 1: The answer is incorrect; the 3 jars in the middle should be x3, making the total count 36.
- Exercise 33, 35: The problem was represented in dots using base 10 rather than base 20.
- Exercise 1: The list of letters above the question didn't include W
- Exercise 9: The answer should be MNI YNE TBA AEH RTA TEA TAI LRE A
Changes made 2.3 -> 2.4
- In Unit conversions, added a note that fluid ounces are a capacity measurement, and should not be used as a weight measurement.
- Info for meatloaf problem: Clarified that 15ounces is a net weight.
- In Alabama Paradox, corrected "Maine" to "Rhode Island"
- In New States Paradox, corrected by swapping "New York" and "Maine"
- In Example #1, added labels to the vertices
- Clarified definition of vertex
- #22: Clarified distances were in kilometers
- #27: Fixed lettering
- Added new questions, 29-37
- #1: Inserted "one-time" with the interest rate
- #4: Inserted "annual" with the interest rate
- Clarified the definition of simple random sample to say "every member of the population and any group of members has an equal probability"
- #43: Should say "and" instead of "or"
- Growth Models #7c: The answer was missing a 7; should be 794,061
- Probability #7: The answer should be 1/5! = 1/(5P5) = 1/120.